There are written lots of rhymes and songs about Chisinau, and the capital of Moldova deserves them all. The beauty of the city charmed the great russian poet A. Pushkin and the russian emperors, who visited the town. Neither today Chisinau lost its charm of a specific town with piece of european colour.
Chisinau is more than 5 centuries old. The town kept its cultural and historical monuments: churches, buildings, statues. The lower part of downtown developed in Middle Age, that is why the streets are disposed chaotically, unlike in the higher part, where streets are parallel.
Keeping the heritage, Chisinau doesn’t forget about contemporaneousness. There are about 50 hotels in Chisinau, hundreds of restaurants and cafes, modern night clubs, malls, subsidiaries of more than 15 banks and hundreds of exchange offices, free wi-fi zones almost in all the cafes, restaurants and shopping malls, and also in most of the parks and other public places.
The Center of Chisinau is considered The Square of Great National Assembly, where most of country events are held. Formerly, the central building of the square was the house of Metropolitan, the clerical seminary and diocesan house Serafimovsky. Unfortunately, all these buildings were destroyed, and on their place the House of Government rose.
Opposite to it the Metropolitan Cathedral is situated. It was built in 1840 after the project of architect A. Melnikov. The cathedral is located in the centre of the Cathedral Park. In the same year of the 19th century, the belfry was built, but one December night of 1962, by the order of communist party, it was destroyed. The venue was rebuilt to its initial form in 1999.
From the central square to the cathedral park one can get through The Holly Gates or the arch, that carried different names during years — The Victory Arch, The Triumphal Arch etc. The arch was built in 1841 after the project of L. Zaushkevich. On the second floor there were installed the bells casted of rifles got from turkish army. The monument is also crowned with a clock.
On the other side of the square, occupying a part of the park, the statue of Stephen the Great is located. Very often the citizens meet there for a date or appointment. Installed in 1028, the statue was made by the sculptor Al. Plamadeala. Behind the statue you can find the entrance to the „Public Park Stephen the Great“ (formerly Pushkin Park), that was arranged at the begining of the 19th century (along its alleys A. Pushkin walked). This is the most beloved place for resting by the citizens and visitors. Old fountains, boundaries and sculptures remained at their first appearance. Big interest is held around the bust of A. Pushkin, that crowns the alley of romanian literature classics. The bust of Pushkin was installed there in 1885 (sculptor A Opekushin).
At one block of distance from the main square one can observe a beautiful building — The City Hall, with its famous clocks on the top, performing the anthem of Chisinau „My dear city made of white-stone flowers“. The building was built in 1902 after the project of architects A. Bernardazzi and M. Elladi.
Next to The City Hall, The Organ Hall is situated, formerly The City Bank (1911, architect M. Chekeruli-Kush). The square near the hall is always crowded, as local craftsmen sell their handicrafts.
The city museum is located in the water tower, built in 1880 by the architect A. Bernardazzi and represents a historical and architectural monument. On the last floor a lookout is arranged, where you can witness a wonderful view of the city. Unfortunately, for the moment the museum is closed due to restoration works.
An unusual interest is maintained around the memorial of military glory „Eternity“, inaugurated on the 9th of May 1975. On its territory there were installed huge stone memorial pannels and the eternal fire is burnig in the centre of a sculptural composition symbolising 5 bayonets linked at the top.
The oldest church in the city and by chance one of the oldest buildings preserved is the church of old rite Mazarache. It was built between 1752-1757, owing to... a denunciation. A clerk named Mazarache was denounced and quoted to the higher administration. Before leaving he swore if he returned back safe and sound, he would build a church. And so happened. The church was built near the city spring, where the citizens got water until the first aqueduct was built.
The St. Theodora of Sihla Church was built as chapel of Gymnasium for girls in 1895, after the project of architect A. Bernardazzi. During soviet times the church hosted the museum of ... atheism. Today, church services are held again and lots of tourists come to visit this venue, as it represents an unique monument of architecture and history.
Neither St. Panthelimon Church missed the prohibitions concerning religion. Formerly, a degustation hall was arranged here. The church was built in 1891 on the funds offered by Sinadino brothers, after the project of A. Bernardazzi. This church is often called " the greek church„, as its architecture has some greek influences. Sinadino family was of greek origin. By the way, they left an important trace in the history of Chisinau.
The National Museum of Archeology and History of Moldova describe all the actual territory of the republic from the Stone Age till present days. Starting with the Scythian gold and ending with the exhibition of contemporaneous artisans and photographs. One can admire here treasures left by Golden Hordes, the bureau of the famous Moldovan journalist Constantin Stere, the diorama of Iasi-Chisinau military operation and works of origami studio. The building itself is an architectural monument. Once it hosted The Gymnasium for boys, and was built in the first half of the 19th century.
The National Museum of Ethnography and History of Nature is the first Basarabian treasure that was offered a new venue built especially for such purposes in 1905 after the project of architecte V. Tsyganco. Though the museum was founded in 1889, this wasn’t the first museum in Moldova, but it is the oldest to act nowadays. In the museum one can find unique collections. Among them the skeleton of a prehistoric animal is worth mentioning, one of its kind in the whole world. Behind the building there was restored the first Botanical Garden from Chisinau, having a bird cage and a serpentarium.
In Chisinau act more than 10 museums. One of them is the museum house of A. Sciusev, where the great architecte lived and created. He was the one to rebuild the city after The Second World War.
The republican pedagogical museum presents us the glorious way of moldavian education, well known far above the borders of Moldova.
The museum of firemen proudly keeps the sketch of The National Opera and Ballet Theatre. Such piece of object exist only in number of three in the whole former Soviet Union. Here, you can also find out more about fire suppression and admire incredible models.
The tourists do their best to visit the museum house „A. Pushkin“, where the poet lived during exile between 1820-1823. There are only two houses left in the whole world where Pushkin lived — one in Chisinau, and the other in Sankt-Petersburg, on 12th Moika Str.
In the building of former high-school Duchess Dadiani (later the headquarters of Central Committee of communist party of Moldova, where Leonid Ilich Brejnev himself had his office) is hosted The National Museum of Fine Arts, where a rich variety of pictures and sculptures is exposed.
The museum of public transport is situated in the building of former tram depot. Here, one can admire a tram once dragged by horses, that ran through Chisinau 120 years ago, the first trolleybuses, tram sketches, and others. Trams were the main means of transport of Moldavian capital in the first third of the 20th century.
A couple of years ago, guided by the enthusiasm of Petru Costin, the museum of customs opened. In the museum there are exposed uniforms of customs and other troops, headwears (one of them formerly belonging to the Great Britain royal security troops), old weights and measurement scales used by customs, as well as weapons, icons, flags and many more.
In Chisinau there is a museum of cosmonautics too. Here you can find out the way our scientists overtook the americans by creating the mechanical pencil, the „Chimec“, and also the way our city produced food for cosmonauts.
Military equipment and other military showpieces can be admired in The Museum of Army, partially situated outside.
The use of any materials posted on the site without written permission of „GhidTur“ SRL is prohibited.